Are Birmingham’s Most Trusted Attorneys
Drunk driving occurs when an impaired individual has consumed alcohol and decides to get behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle. Impairment may also be caused by the use of illegal substances. In the United States, the offense is categorized as either driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI). The legal limit of alcohol consumption, also known as blood alcohol content level, varies by each state. For those individuals 21 and over in Alabama, the blood alcohol limit must not be over 0.08%. For underage drivers, the amount differs within each state. A DUI or DWI charge can be handed down to an individual involved in a drunk driving accident.
Drunk Driving Facts and Figures
The Alabama Department of Transportation has implemented the Crash Facts study in order to track numbers related to drunk driving and accidents that resulted because of a drunk driver. The study found that drunk drivers were responsible for approximately 50 percent of all fatal car crashes. Those who are involved in drunk driving accidents are often repeat offenders. In 2017, Crash Facts broke down DUI crashes by age group:
- Ages 20 to 29: 29.99% or 1,641 crashes
- Ages 30 to 39: 24.82% or 1,358 crashes
- Ages 40 to 49: 16.76% or 917 crashes
- Ages 50 to 59: 14.42% or 789 crashes
- Ages 60 to 69: 6.05% or 331 crashes
- Other Ages: 3.56% or 195 crashes
Were You Hurt by a Drunk Driver?
Anyone who is affected by a drunk driver can suffer extensive bodily harm. In some cases, the injuries, physical and emotional, can affect a person for the rest of their life. If you or a loved one are the victim of a drunk driving accident, you have the right to contact an attorney who specializes in drunk driving cases. An attorney can help you:
- Identify your rights as a drunk driving accident victim.
- Inform you of the options available to collect the funds for medical and pain and suffering.
- File paperwork for a lawsuit and collect evidence pertaining to the accident.
- In requesting and awarding punitive damages.
- Seek compensation for any physical and emotional issues you may be suffering from due to the drunk driver’s negligence.
What Can an Attorney Do for You?
It is best to confer with an attorney in the event that you are a victim of a drunk driving accident. Let Birmingham’s Most Trusted Attorneys help with the stress that comes along with an accident involving a drunk driver. Our attorneys have years of experience handling cases such as these.
If you were involved in a drunk driving case, contact Birmingham’s Most Trusted Attorneys, Lewis and Feldman, to begin a free consultation on your case. Call our office at 205-896-6410, toll-free at 888-705-3997, or email us at email@example.com or
firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our website www.alabamapersonalinjury.com to learn more.