What to do if You’re the Victim of a Car Wreck in Alabama
As our population in Alabama continues to grow and thrive, so does the increased risk of potential car accidents. Whether you’re in a rural or urban area, you are still at risk when getting behind the wheel – day or night. For many drivers, they may have never been involved in an accident before, which is why we have put together a basic list of what you should do if you find yourself the victim of a car wreck in Alabama.
- All parties involved in the accident need to stay at the scene. There could be very serious consequences if you leave the scene of an accident.
- Look around and asses if you or anyone else involved in the accident is injured and needs immediate medical attention. Call 911 as soon as possible to seek medical assistance and to report the injuries.
- Exchange contact information with those involved in the accident. This includes name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, license plate number and insurance information. If you can, take pictures of this information.
- Obtain contact information of any witnesses at the scene of the accident.
- If you are physically able, take pictures of the wreckage and any injuries you may have incurred.
- Keep track of all medical documentation, lost wages, expenses and receipts.
- Alabama requires an SR-31 form to be filed when someone is injured or killed in an accident or when there is more than $500 worth of damage. Be sure to retain a copy of this form for your records.
- Place your own insurance carrier on notice of the incident.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the other party’s adjuster who claims to be “investigating” before employing a competent PI attorney.
It is essential to note that you will want to speak to a personal injury attorney before accepting a settlement from the insurance company. It is typically the goal of the insurance company to settle quickly and to provide a low ball offer. We will work on your behalf to investigate and fight for fair compensation for the injuries you have suffered.
Our Birmingham, AL personal injury firm can analyze your case.
If you believe you have suffered injuries as a result of someone else’s actions, contact us, Lewis and Feldman, at 205-896-6410 or toll-free at 888-705-3997 for a free, no-risk initial consultation about your injuries.
No representation is made that the quality of legal services performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.