Here’s The Scope of Pedestrian Accidents
Over 100,000 pedestrians are taken to the emergency room nationally each year for vehicle-related injuries or resulting deaths. There are several things you need to know if you or your loved one is a victim in a Pedestrian Accident.
First, let’s look at the risk factors associated with pedestrian accidents. Here are some hard and fast facts:
Certain persons at higher risk
- Senior Citizens: Almost 20% of all pedestrian deaths were of person ages 65 and over.
- Children: ⅕ of all children killed in pedestrian traffic crashes were under 15 years.
Alcohol: Use of alcohol is a common theme in pedestrian accidents. About half of all crashes resulting in the death of the pedestrian involved either them or the driver being under the influence of alcohol.
Speed: Many pedestrian accidents also involve higher speeds than the posted speed limit.
Hazardous Weather Conditions: Walking in fog, heavy rain, and strong wind can also put pedestrians at risk.
Many pedestrian accidents occur at night or at non-intersection highways
and at high speed.
With these sobering facts in mind, the best plan is to use a crosswalk and cross only at well-lit streets. If you or a loved one are still a victim of a pedestrian accident follow the below guidelines.
At the time of the accident keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Call 911 and seek medical attention immediately.
- Take note of your injuries.
- Stay calm.
- Look around and retain any witnesses if possible.
- File a report with the police.
- Do not discuss fault on the scene or to the motorist’s insurance company.
- Contact your insurance, even though you are a pedestrian in the situation.
- Seek professional legal assistance.
Remembering what to do if you are involved in a pedestrian accident can save you enormous distress. Lewis and Feldman are experienced in pedestrian accidents and here to help you navigate these challenging events.
Our Birmingham, AL personal injury firm can analyze your case.
If you believe you have suffered as a result of someone else’s actions, contact us, Lewis and Feldman, at (888) 295-7409 for a free, no-risk consultation about your injuries.
No representation is made that the quality of legal services performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.