My father was a lawyer. He practiced personal injury law in Birmingham for nearly 50 years. He had a good practice, a solid reputation and many friends both inside and outside the profession. In short, he was great at what he did. But, when I was younger, I wasn’t sure I wanted to follow in his footsteps.
I remember late night calls coming into the house from clients. I remember long hours that he’d spend at the office, at court, or at a client’s house. I remember thinking that maybe I should be doing something else with my life – maybe I wasn’t cut out for the law.
I did end up going to law school, though. I ended up coming back home to Birmingham, and for a few years, I practiced corporate law at a larger firm in town.
One day my Dad called and said that he had a big case and he’d like me to be a part of it. At first, I thought I would be helping him out. As it turns out, he was helping me. Working with him on that case and as his partner for the next 10 years, I learned about clients, myself and the law.
Why do I practice personal injury law? In one recent case I fought an unlawful foreclosure and helped keep a client in their family home. In another, I settled a medical malpractice case for a child making sure that young person will now be able to go to college, debt-free.
Doing good for people. Fighting for the right thing. Relationships that last long after the case is closed. Those are the lessons I learned from my father. Those are the principles I try to practice, everyday.
- Tulane University; BSM with concentration in Finance
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1992, JD
- Graduated cum laude
- State Bar of Alabama
- State Bar of Georgia
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Member of the National Association of Consumer Advocates
- Member of Alabama Association For Justice
- Member of the American Association For Justice
- Former Member of the National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys (NARCA) and the Commercial Law League of America
Admitted to practice in:
- State of Alabama
- Supreme Court of Alabama and the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Southern District of Alabama
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- State of Georgia
- $2,500,000 recovery in a motor vehicle accident involving an 18-wheeler
- $1,000,000 recovery in a case involving a motor vehicle accident
- $620,000 recovery against a drunk driver and bar for serving alcohol illegally
- $450,000 recovery for wrongful death
- $200,000 recovery for worker’s compensation case
- Legal Collection Workshop for Dun and Bradstreet
- Legal Aspects of Collections
- Social Media and the Business of Law (Cumberland Law School at Samford University)
Community Involvement & Recognition
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbel
- Named by Alabama Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in Alabama for 2008-2012
- Named in “Top Lawyers” by Birmingham Magazine, 2010 & 2012
- MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) Jail Bail campaign last 4 years
- Member of the Legal Leaders Campaign for MDA
- Best of the Bar for Personal Injury and Wrongful Death – Birmingham Bar Association – 2005
- American Heart Association Team Captain; Jail Bail For Heart Fund Raising Campaign, 2 years
- Big Gift campaign Solicitors for Strong Kid Campaign; YMCA
- Board of Directors, YMCA
- Past Co-President of Birmingham Chapter of Tulane Alumni Club
Jon has three awesome children: Alec, Leigh and Zachary.
*These recoveries are not an indication of future results. Every case is different, and regardless of what friends, family, or other individuals may say about what a case is worth, each case must be evaluated on its own facts and circumstances as they apply to the law. The valuation of a case depends on the facts, the injuries, the jurisdiction, the venue, the witnesses, the parties, and the testimony, among other factors. Furthermore, no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.