Slips and Falls

Published on June 12, 2018

“Slip and Falls” is a legal term that is categorized under Premise Liability.  Did you know if you slip, trip, or fall on someone’s property or in a commercial establishment, like a grocery store, for example, the owner may be legally responsible for the damages that occur? Keep in mind the owner or their employees must have done something to cause the fall without you contributing to it, for example, mopping the floor and not putting a wet sign out to caution people. If you were injured during your accident, you just may have a case. Keep reading to learn what you should do if you are the victim of a slip and fall accident.


Determine the Cause

Look around!  What was the culprit of the fall: a spill from food or liquid, an uneven walkway, or an inanimate object. If the fall was due to liquid, preserve your clothes worn during the accident and do not wash them.  They may be used as evidence. Also, take note if there was a Wet Floor sign.


Report the Fall

If the accident occurred in a public place, you will more than likely need to complete an incident report.  Do this as soon as possible while everything is fresh in your memory.  Give as many details as you recall and report exactly where you hurt. If there was no Wet Floor signage, be sure to report that as well.


Take Pictures

A picture is worth a thousand words. Take as many pictures of the scene as possible, especially before cleanup.

My Post

Get Witnesses

Having witnesses is key. Gather the full names and phone numbers of anyone that saw the accident. Also, take notes of any comments people make and who helped you.


Seek Medical Treatment

You want to seek medical attention immediately, especially, if you are having persistent pain after the fall. It is important to have the pain checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible to check for any broken bones, concussion, internal bleeding, or other serious medical injuries.  Sometimes you may not have pain for a few days after a fall. Be sure to reach out to your doctor if any new symptoms occur.


Call an Attorney

You will need an attorney to send a Spoliation Letter to the business where the fall occurred as soon as possible.  This letter is a written request for the business to preserve the video as evidence to prove your claim. Without this formal request, a business does not have to keep the video. If you wish to pursue a claim for pain and suffering as well as medical expenses, you will need to contact a personal injury attorney.


Our Birmingham, AL personal injury firm can analyze your case.

If you believe you have suffered as a result of someone else’s actions, contact us, Lewis and Feldman, at (888) 295-7409 for a free, no-risk consultation about your injuries.


No representation is made that the quality of legal services performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.


© Southern View Media 2018: Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited. All Rights Reserved. “We Put You Online So You Don’t Get Left Behind”



Leave a Reply